For the best possible Foot & Ankle care, Look for the “O” – a Foot & Ankle ORTHOPAEDIC Surgeon
The Look for the “O” campaign is intended to create public awareness by the American Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Society (AOFAS) for all kinds of Foot & Ankle issues. The objective of the campaign is to educate all Americans about the importance to seek medical attention by a trained Foot & Ankle orthopedic surgeon for any kind of Foot & Ankle problems.
Who is a Foot & Ankle Orthopaedic Surgeon?
A Foot & Ankle orthopedic surgeon is a medical doctor (MD or DO) who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal disorders involving the human musculoskeletal system, including the nerves, ligaments, tendons, muscles, joints, and bones in the feet and ankles. A Foot & Ankle surgeon is a specialty trained expert physician with 10+ years of training and experience with unmatchable expertise in the field of Foot & Ankle care. No other healthcare provider holds the in-depth knowledge or skill set to manage and treat the wide spectrum of Foot & Ankle injuries and diseases.
Why Look for a Foot & Ankle Orthopaedic Surgeon?
- Training: A Foot & Ankle orthopedic surgeon undergoes 4 years of medical schooling and 5 years of residency training in Orthopaedic Surgery. After residency, the surgeon then undergoes an extra 1-year of advanced fellowship training program that focuses exclusively in the care of the Foot & Ankle.
- Expertise: Following extensive training, a Foot & Ankle orthopedic surgeon gains the expertise to treat a wide range of Foot & Ankle disorders, including common issues such as plantar fasciitis and bunions, to arthritis, traumatic injuries, and complex Foot & Ankle deformities.
- Patient Care: With the comprehensive medical training and expertise that a Foot & Ankle orthopedic surgeons hold, they are equipped to address a variety of Foot & Ankle conditions in relation to an individual’s body health by precise diagnosis of a condition and determining the best possible treatment alternative for both non-surgical as well as surgical cases.
What are the Conditions Treated by Foot & Ankle Orthopaedic Surgeon?
Orthopedic Foot & Ankle surgeons can treat a variety of Foot & Ankle disorders, such as:
- Strains, sprains, soft-tissue tears, fractures, and dislocations
- Arthritis and disorders warranting joint replacement or preservation
- Trauma and sports injuries, such as Achilles tears or ruptures, turf toe, and tendinitis
- Flat feet, hammertoes, plantar fasciitis, and bunions
- Disorders of the nerves and congenital anomalies, such as club foot
When Should I Look for An Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Surgeon?
Although most people assume that orthopedic Foot & Ankle surgeons are specialists who only treat complex Foot & Ankle problems or problems that warrant surgery, the fact is they can also treat common Foot & Ankle conditions, such as heel spurs, fallen arches, hammer toe, plantar fasciitis, and many more. Your Foot & Ankle surgeon diagnoses the source of the problem by examining your Foot & Ankle to detect any abnormal changes, such as a change in shape, swelling, or discoloration and also check for sensation, circulation, pain, and function. To ensure optimal Foot & Ankle health, your doctor will explore a wide range of treatment options, beginning with conservative treatment options for minor cases to highest level of surgical care and intervention for complex cases.
Always remember to look for the “O” - a Foot & Ankle ORTHOPEDIC Surgeon for all your Foot & Ankle care.